Monday, April 23, 2012

An Evening at the Neighborhood British Pub, or, That Time I Ate a Plate of Bacon and Had No Regrets Whatsoever

I apologize for the wait; I really do. I've been busy getting back into the swing of things with school. Now that I'm a month in, though, I'm ready to start going out and doing things on the weekends again! I decided to ease into it though, so last weekend all I did was head to the neighborhood HUB, a chain of British-style pubs, with Eric and Margaret.

I had spent my day doing homework and laundry; I also used my afternoon to rewrite my resume and start work on a cover letter, since I need to start applying for jobs for next year (which is difficult when you're out of the country), so I felt like an evening out would be a great way to celebrate getting a lot of things done. I met up with Eric and Margaret in the lobby and we headed over to catch Happy Hour, even though none of us ended up ordering anything from the Happy Hour menu (it was just cocktails)...

We pretty much spent the evening catching up, since we're in different classes (Eric and I are in the same core class, but we don't have many overlapping special subjects, and Margaret is only in one special subject with me this semester) and we don't see each other that often during the week. It was nice.

I don't have much more to write about, really; have some pictures of food!

Menu time! In the background: rugby.



Roast beef! The mashed potatoes were cold though...


I may be many things, but a pint-finisher is not one of them. I am fine with this; so was Eric, as he got a free 1/3 pint.


I ate this whole plate of bacon. It was delicious. I regret nothing.



HUB is on the bottom floor of one of the buildings at Hiyoshi Campus, so it's pretty much a campus bar. Lots of Keio students and international students alike frequent here.
It was a nice evening out, and I'm really looking forward to having next week off of school for Golden Week! I'm planning on doing a lot of things then -- there's a Jackson Pollock exhibit in town until the 6th of May and I think I'll head on over there in addition to having another evening out with Jack and Margaret and Eric. I'm sure I'll think of some other things to do too!

3 comments:

  1. OMG they have British pubs over there? Did they have fish and chips? Did they have bangers (sausages) and mash? Did they have REAL beer (not the cold watery stuff Americans drink, but the real warm earthy bitters)?

    Guinness doesn't count though (as I don't like it).

    Now you'll just have to make it to the UK to compare it to the real thing. :D

    Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have real beer, but it's expensive, so generally Japanese beer is the way to go here. And the food was okay -- they have really great french fries. They're more like mini-potato wedges. And they do serve fish and chips, but I'm not sure how authentic they really are. I didn't try it.

      No bangers and mash, as far as I know. Sorry dear.

      Delete
  2. That. Is. Not. Bacon.

    Bryce

    ReplyDelete