Saturday, December 17, 2011

Laker Band reunions are the best kinds of reunions.

Sorry for the delay; this week was really busy what with tests and quitting choir and a bunch of homework. Also, since winter break starts next Thursday, I've been getting to the point of pre-vacation burnout, which is never a fun place to be.


Things have been going well this week; quitting choir may have been the biggest stress relief this semester. I just wasn't able to make the time commitment work for my life -- it was very hard to balance school, choir, and friends -- so I decided quitting was the best option.

This has given me lots of time to do homework and hang out with friends, especially Amie, who I know from high school and Laker Band! She moved to Oregon from Japan during high school, and then moved back to Japan for college! She's actually going to start attending Keio as a freshman in the spring!

Last Sunday, we met up in Shibuya and hit Starbucks and did some window shopping! We went to Tokyu Hands and messed around there for a bit. It was fun!

Someone took "No-Shave November" a little too seriously this year...

STOP! POLICE!
Then on Monday night, to celebrate my quitting choir, Margaret and I decided to make Microwave Mug Cake. I will admit that this recipe was a bit rich for my liking, but I was determined to make it work, so last night I tried it again, this time with 1 1/2 tablespoons of Nutella rather than 3, and it came out BEAUTIFULLY. I felt MUCH better after I ate this version than I did with the first attempt, by which I mean I didn't feel like I needed to be rolled into bed!

The ingredients!

Make sure you mix WELL -- the Nutella makes the batter a bit gummy.

I would suggest using a fork rather than a spoon. That way you can kind of whisk the batter.

Hey there Margaret!

My cake!

Margaret's cake -- good thing we microwaved our mugs on a plate!

And then today, Amie and I decided to hang out again. This time we explored Hiyoshi Campus, the campus of Keio University that's walking distance from my dorm, since she will be starting there in the spring. Because of the warm winter and fall we've had, the leaves were just now changing color -- a bit weird to think about since Christmas is only eight days away! We took lots of pictures, and it was a lovely day!

The road leading to the auditorium is lined with trees.

This little girl just dropped to the ground and started rolling in the leaves. It was too cute.



A statue. Of someone important. We didn't stop to read the plaque.

This shrub is blooming. It is DECEMBER. WHAT EVEN.

The view from the top of one of the buildings. You can see what I think is Mt. Fuji in the distance.

This maple tree was just gorgeous.
Leaf close-ups!

More leaves!
It was such a nice day!
Keio High School

Green tea cake! A fabulous lunch.

SMILE FOR THE CAMERA AMIE!

My parents read me this book when I was little -- imagine my surprise when we found it as part of a store display!

 Tomorrow my friend from camp is coming to Tokyo, so we'll probably spend the day running around. I might even update again early in the week to put up the pictures from then. I have less than a week until break starts now, and I cannot wait! I'm definitely looking forward to having time to read. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oohhh~ I've always wanted to make cake in a mug but I've always been a little nervous about how it would turn out... Yours looks good though!!


    -RINA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're having a wonderful time, Catie! I thought of you today as I bought yarn for Christmas gift making! Looking forward to seeing you when you're back in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh~. I love your cake in a mug! I want to make it too :D.

    Also, the trees here stayed colorful for a long time too! I took pictures of them on Dec. 1st and they were still really colorful haha.

    Risa/Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool and beautiful photos!

    I'm planning on applying to Keio for graduate school! Maybe we should chat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks amazing Catie! I know what you mean with your warm weather. We have been in the 70's in GA for the last week! I can't believe it is so close to Christmas when the grass is still green and it is warm enough to be out in a T-Shirt! It looks like you are having a great time in Japan. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete