Tuesday, November 1, 2011

TREAT YO SELF and Baseball!

Sorry about the delay in updating! I've had a bunch of tests to study for, and tonight is the first time I've actually had a free night during the week, so I figured I should get a post up about what I've been up to for the past few weeks!

Last Sunday, we had our very own Treat Yo Self 2011 in Harajuku! What is Treat Yo Self, you ask? I'll just let the cast of Parks and Recreation explain that for you!


 

 Even though Harajuku is famous for people who have an interesting sense of fashion, we didn't see many people that day. We were hoping to, though, and made sure to come on a Sunday (the day that many of the Harajuku regulars come to the area), but oh well. Maybe we'll go back another time.

I spent my money "treating myself" to things I needed, like a black purse, a reusable grocery bag, a white t-shirt, and a winter dress. I did, however officially treat myself to a cute skirt and some matching tights, though!

Harajuku station! One of the only train stations in Tokyo that still has its original building -- it's 105 years old!
The entrance to Takeshita Street -- the "main drag" for cheap shopping!

There were some fabulous knock-off Star Wars shirts here, but none in my size.

These socks are mean AND funny!

So this store seemed to be selling Takarazuka-esque clothing...


I don't like how I look here, but I figured I should have ONE picture with me in it...

Indian food break time!

This is a lolita fashion store, a style which is pretty popular in Harajuku!
I thought this sign was kind of cool, so I took a picture of it.

The train tracks from the inside of Harajuku station -- I was feeling artsy.

The Yamanote line!
What I treated myself to.
This weekend was the baseball rivalry games against Waseda University, a three-game series that takes place in both the fall and the spring. It's a pretty big deal. Such a big deal, in fact, that classes are actually CANCELED so that students can attend the matches. Games are held on Saturday, Sunday, and, if necessary, Monday. I went to the Sunday game with a bunch of people from the dorm, and it was a very fun time!

On the way to the stadium with Eric and Nick!

This is the only clear photo I have of the game itself -- the cheerleaders were in the way ALL THE TIME.

1/2 of the Keio cheering section.

The Waseda section -- there were more of them than there were us. :(

The 応援団!

It was really interesting to watch the 応援団 -- quite a different experience from America!

It was hard to get good photos with all of the moving!
I was really fascinated by the cheering group, known as 応援団. The cheering really never stops during the course of the game, and they're backed up by a small pep band (which I was unable to get a clear shot of). There was a cheering group and band for every seating section, as far as I can tell, and these guys and girls are yelling the entire game! They had almost no voices left by the end! Here's a video of them in action:

 
 
We fought bravely, but ultimately lost the series to Waseda that day. Even though we lost, it was a really fun day and I'm really glad I went!
This week we have a national holiday on Thursday, so Eric and I are planning on going to Akihabara to check out the used book and video game stores and I'm also planning on a post about all the cooking Inga and I are doing (complete with HIGH-QUALITY phone pictures), so there should be a fair number of posts this week. Please look forward to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment